Tuesday, July 28, 2026

The Plugged Nickel

The Plugged Nickel

Have you ever been to The Plugged Nickel
right between Slugs and The Bitter End
and if you ever lose your way down the alley
just peel your eyes and ears for the muted trumpets, my friend
well, rainfall and thunder comp a backbeat

Drinks are stiffer than The Bad Penny
café espresso is stronger than The Thin Dime
lost, wayward girls wear their hats and coats
dashing in from the fog and rain all the time

No, it’s not like The Screaming Bean
with its plucked dulcimers, autoharps and banjos
and they pass the straw hat around
cracked peanuts and sawdust litter the tired floor
make a detour to the shack with the abstract sounds

Well, the PA system crackles
and the lights shoot off sparks
half the customers think its entertaining
and the rest of them think it’s art

And the notes fall like raindrops
on a cobblestoned street
the notes drippety drop like hail stones
on a cobblestoned road
the bass booms like thunder
the cymbals flash like lightning

On a good night you can catch Miles
even better if you see Monk
but it’s snake eyes if you fall in
and catch a poet strung out on junk

Deck of Muses

Previously published in Horror Sleaze Trash Quarterly Spring 2026

There's a whiny voice shrieking from the jukebox
some high pitched wail
"If you leave me I'll just die"
in that case
i've died a thousand deaths

They leave you for a jerk with drugs
they leave you for a jerk with money

But, but butt butt...
i have no drugs
i have no money
i have no friends

What do i have
i've got edgar allen poe's muse
i've got annette peacock’s muse
i've got rahsaan roland kirk's muse

All that inspiration
comes with an expiration…date
catch the spark, catch a fire
Baby, before it’s too late

I've got a deck of muses
i've got a full house
chips stacked sky high on the table
i'll never fold

Got hit with a fevered need
I’ll launch a voluminous screed
I’ve got leonor fini’s muse
I’ve got stephen crane’s muse…
I’ll never fold

Prose and music Copyright 2026, Scuzzbuster Music (BMI). All rights reserved. Work is not royalty-free and not approved for AI usage.

No comments: